Y’all might have read about the Packers‘ demand for banning the ‘tush push,’ which has gotten 16 out of 32 votes. However, to make a change in the NFL, according to bylaws, it requires at least 24 votes in favor. Well, the issue is still ongoing; the talks and debates are not over. Adding some spice to the ‘tush push’ debate, Mike Macdonald‘s Seahawks have made their stance clear on it.
First of all, NFL reporter Brady Henderson shared that the Seahawks did not vote to ban the tush push, nor for the proposal to change playoff seeding. He also mentioned that the Seahawks are still in the process of finding ‘that’ player in the offseason. But before diving deeper into their offseason, let’s check out what the Seahawks GM said about the ‘brotherly shove.’
A couple notes from GM John Schneider with @BobStelton and Dave Wyman on @SeattleSports:
-The Seahawks did not vote to ban the rush push nor for the proposal to change playoff seeding.
-They’re still working on adding a fullback in free agency or the draft.
— Brady Henderson (@BradyHenderson) April 4, 2025
The Seattle Seahawks GM John Schneider said, “It’s not as clear as the hip-drop has been.” Schneider was talking about the health concerns swirling around the tush push debate. He continued, “Last year, they were going through the hip-drop stuff, and the videos were awful… But the medical portion wasn’t as clear on this.” He also added, “But the discussion was pretty intense. There were a lot of really interesting opinions both ways.” Actually, it seems quite strange when we talk about ‘health’ as the main reason to ban the tush push when the game of football has always been contact-heavy and injury-laden.
Well, it’s a fact that when teammates push the quarterback from behind while the opponents are already pushing in the opposite direction, there is a transfer of tons of force. This increases the likelihood of injuries. But do you know why the Eagles and Jalen Hurts use that ‘brotherly shove’ so many times and, in fact, do it in such a smooth way? Well, according to scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson, the Eagles get a fraction of a second’s advantage to cross the scrimmage line because of the push. He also pointed out that this affects the Earth’s rotation time, but that’s a different story.
But do you think the NFL should ban it ‘because’ the Eagles are the only team using it? Well, if that’s the case, aside from health concerns, then we are moving in a different direction. And since Mike Macdonald’s Seahawks, along with 15 other teams, are not fully supporting the ban, what could be the reason behind it? We saw Buffalo Bills HC Sean McDermott talking about health concerns regarding the tush push, but if you look at the stats, the Bills are No. 2 in gaining yards with the brotherly shove after the Eagles. So, there is no unity or consensus among HCs and GMs to fully ban the tush push.
Alright, while the ‘tush push’ talks are ongoing, Mike Macdonald’s team is not losing their grip on free agency in the offseason. As we discussed earlier, the Seahawks are eyeing a quality contender for the fullback position.
Mike Macdonald’s Seahawks seeking a fullback in the jungle of free agency
Brady Henderson also said, “They’re still working on adding a fullback in free agency or the draft,” while reporting on the Seahawks’ stance on the tush push. Looking at the availability of free agents for this spot, the Seahawks are in a good position, as there is one quality candidate left.
According to SB Nation, former New Orleans Saints fullback Adam Prentice is available in free agency. Various sources stated that he could be a great fit for the Seattle Seahawks. The fullback will turn 28 years old this year. Over the last four years, Adam Prentice has played 48 games, during which he made nine rushing attempts. But apart from Adam, the NFL Draft also has several fullbacks the Seahawks can consider.
Brant Kuithe of Utah, Brock Lampe of Northern Illinois, Jared Casey of Kansas, Gee Scott Jr. of Ohio State, and Hunter Brozio of North Dakota State are the top-ranked fullbacks in this year’s draft, according to BNB Football. Will Mike Macdonald’s team pick up Adam Prentice from free agency or look to bet on someone from the 2025 NFL draft?
The post Mike Macdonald’s Seahawks Confirm Stance on Tush Push Ban As GM John Schneider Eyes Offseason Move appeared first on EssentiallySports.